Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2015

"You're always wearing your letters!"


So for my first post ever, I wanted to write a blog post that has been in the back of my mind since January 6th, 2015.  When I started my job, I couldn't stop thinking about how my sorority really shaped how I would handle having my first work experience as a post-grad. Okay, I know you're probably thinking you've read this same article before, but hear me out on this one.  There are so  many elements of my job (which is really a full-time internship) that I gained experience with through my time in my sorority. Here are some of them...

First one up is one that really stuck in my head for a while.  If you were ever in a sorority, you've probably heard the phrase "You are always wearing your letters" about 100 times a week.  Believe me, I know because I was Standards for a year and I was usually the one saying it. We say this to remind everyone that no matter what, you're always representing your organization.  It's a pretty important reminder.  Well, after I graduated, I did not think it was something that I would be hearing that much of anymore.  Oh my gosh, was I wrong! On my first day at my internship (or job, I use them interchangeably), the other four interns and I sat down with our general manager for our day of training.  Side note: you should know that I intern with a major league baseball team, but I work with one of their farm (or minor league) teams and am technically employed by a major league club.  During this day long meeting, we covered a ton of topics.  What we were allowed to do, what we should not do, how to interact with players and the media... the list goes on.  Then, he explained to us that we would have a lot of opportunities where we would be around people from other clubs and we would attend a lot of events with people high up in our company.  While this is awesome, he stressed how important it was to remember that we are always representing our organization, the whole organization.  I almost started laughing, which would have been awful, because he was basically telling us we're always wearing our team's logo.  We are always representing our company, and it is very important that we do not do something embarrassing to not only ourselves, but to the company as well.  Wow, never thought I'd hear that one again.  It is now something that I am constantly thinking about, and is one of the most important things I have to remember.

Another one would fall under the category of attire.  If there was one thing that I got sick of from week to week, it was pin attire.  Both chapters I was a part of dabbled in the "wearing pin attire once a week mandatory" game, and after four years of it I was over it.  However, it was pin attire that really shaped and guided how I would dress for my big girl job.  Every job has a different dress code, but at the end of the day looking tasteful is always important. Pin attire helped me realize what might be too short, too low cut, or too casual.  I know that if I'm following pin attire rules, I'm in the clear to wear it to work.

Okay and the last one would be chapter, and meetings in general.  I served two terms on our executive board, so I know all about meetings.  Chapter meetings, executive board meetings, committee meetings-I've been to them all.  Meetings happen at jobs.  They're not always boring, but they're not always exciting either.  No matter what, proper meeting etiquette is really important.  Knowing how to be a part of a meeting is very important too.  Paying attention, contributing, and taking great notes are all things that I did in chapter and that I still do in meetings. Always make sure to come prepared, and be on your A game.  It is so embarrassing to be in a meeting and to be asked about something and not be prepared.  Believe me on this one.  It's very important to watch your facial expressions too.  If you're bored out of your mind, try really hard not to let it show on your face; it just doesn't come off very professional.  If you're currently Greek or involved in a club, I would start taking meetings a little more seriously and pay attention to what makes them successful and what isn't working.  This will definitely help you when your time comes to enter into corporate America!

Oh! My sorority also really helped me with handling social settings.  Those questions you ask during recruitment? Great conversation starters at a reception or cocktail hour.  Learning how to handle your liquor and/or knowing your limits? Really handy when you're at an event with free beer and wine.  Just some things to keep in mind, because you're always representing your company!

So basically, my time in my sorority really did prepare me for my future.  I'll tell you that I always knew it would, but it's still cool to see how much it really did.

Until next time,
Brandt

No comments:

Post a Comment