Pages

Friday, January 22, 2016

A Sunshine State of Mind

I had a revelation today.  This is my last full month in Florida.  Having lived here since 1995, this is kind of a big deal.  In case you haven't heard, Connor has been assigned to Fort Sill, Oklahoma.  This means as soon as we're married, that's where we'll be headed together.  With the wedding and the big move being next month, I can't believe my time in Florida is winding down.  It's been 21 years since I've lived anywhere other than the Sunshine State.  In fact, I barely remember living in Pennsylvania. So, it's really got me thinking of everything I'll miss about this little slice of heaven.  I made a list, and narrowed it down (you're welcome) to the five things I'll miss the most.  (Obviously, I'll miss my family and friends and other various people the most.  I just figured that goes without saying.)


  1. Publix
    If you've ever had the pleasure of eating anything from a Publix deli, you understand where I am coming from.  There is nothing a Publix sub cannot fix.  A staple to any summer beach trip, a true comfort food, and a college kids dream.  Sure, there are other great places nationwide to get subs, but nothing will ever take the place of a good Publix sub.  Not to mention their fried chicken, and other deli treats, are so good!  And then there's a cake from Publix.  Their buttercream icing is perfect.  Ugh, and the sweet tea.  Publix is just a supplier of some great comforts, and they do not exist too far out of the South.  I also had the honor of living in Lakeland (where Publix was founded), where you can't go more than a few miles without one.  This place is so much more to me than a supermarket.  The brand and company itself has worked it's way into my heart.  I will miss Publix the moment we get to Oklahoma. 
  2. The Beach
    This one probably goes without saying.  You get so spoiled living in Florida.  I've never been more than 2 hours from a beach.  Shoot, I even went to college pretty much on the beach for 3 years.  There is something magical about sun and saltwater.  I truly believe it can heal anything. My biggest regret is that over the past year, I haven't had enough time by the water.  And now it'll be awhile before I'm around it again.  Now I know there are lakes and rivers.  But lets be real, those are not the beach.  I don't know if I could pick a favorite beach, but I am a huge fan of the Gulf Coast.  I hope that I can return to it very soon.  Ideally, Key West.  Here's to hoping I make it back to the salty seas sooner than later once the trek begins. 
  3. Florida Strawberry Festival
    Okay, I might be partial to Plant City, but the Strawberry Festival is a must every spring.  There is always great food and entertainment, and it goes on for weeks. Last year, it was like a 20 minute drive from my apartment and I wish I would've gone more than once.  Connor and I saw Craig Morgan, and even though we watched from the free bleachers, it was still awesome!  I have a picture of the rides all lit up from where we were sitting just after the sun went down and its one that I will cherish when we're gone.  I love that the festival celebrates agriculture and the local farmers.  Overall, it is a really fun time! There are a ton of rides to play on.  The food is so good and you can get anything you'd imagine in a fried form (even a Recce's cup!). We're just barely missing it this year, but hopefully someday we'll make it back while it's going on!
  4. SEC Football
    Go ahead and roll your eyes, I get that a lot.  In my defense, it's been a huge part of my life for the past 20 years (especially this year).  Growing up in The Gator Nation was seriously one of the funnest parts of my childhood.  I remember going to countless football, basketball, and baseball games when I was younger.  Honestly, my love of sports probably stemmed from this.  I love the feel of a college campus on a Saturday.  I say SEC football specifically, because it's all I've ever known.  There's just something about it being 95 degrees out and watching some mid afternoon football.  Not to mention when it's a conference like the SEC whether loved or hated, it's always making waves.  Now, it's time for me to learn a thing or two about Big 12 football. Boomer, sooner!
  5. Spring Training
    Alright, I'm sorry for the fact that  two of these five are sports related.  It's what I do, remember?  This is something that is so incredibly unique to Florida though (okay, and Arizona)!  Every February, 15 teams make the trip down to various parts of warm, sunny Florida and essentially begin their seasons.  Even though I didn't really love baseball until last year, Spring Training has always been fun for me. My aunt and uncle would come down in March every year to watch the Phillies in Clearwater, and usually take me to a game or two.  Then, I got to be on the other side and work during Spring Training for the Tigers. The energy you feel at a Spring Training game is so refreshing.  Most "snow birds" will plan whole vacations around a Spring Training schedule.  These fans have traveled far and the players are finally back on the field.  It may be really hot, but it's nothing an ice cold lemonade and hot dog can't fix! My heart breaks that I won't be around to experience this in 2016. 
Now don't get me wrong, I am definitely excited for this new Oklahoma adventure. I've been scoping out some things I'm already excited for over there.  However, my heart will always be here.  My heart will be eating a Publix sub, on the beach, planning my trips to the Strawberry festival and sporting events.  While Florida has a ton of awesome adventures to offer, these are my favorites.  Want to hear about more of them?  Have some favorites of your own? Know anything I absolutely must to do when I get to Oklahoma? Let me hear 'em!
Until next time,
Brandt
(for only 30 more days, but we'll get to that later)

5 comments:

  1. So exciting! You will discover new favorites I'm sure. <3 u MC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlyn, I loved reading your blog and getting to know a little more about you from your post. I too love to blog and get my thoughts out in writing - I don't do it enough. We'll have to ship you a little bit of these FL events every once in awhile. I have never lived anywhere else so I know you must be a little anxious about it. I know you and Connor will enjoy making new memories in a new place together though and I'm excited about that for you. Excited to have you for a niece-in-law :) soon. Love, Aunt Sundi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunt Sundi,
      I'm glad you liked it! I'm really going to try to blog more, especially after the move. I will definitely miss Florida, but I know Oklahoma will be super fun too! I can't wait to be a part of the family (like officially) either! I got your RSVP; see you in 29 days!
      Love, Kaitlyn

      Delete
  3. Yeah, not gonna lie I'm STILL having Publix withdrawals after all these years, the struggle is real lol.

    ReplyDelete