Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

It's Going to be OK

Last week, I shared what I will miss the most about Florida.  This week, I've decided to share what I'm most excited about in Oklahoma!  Gotta keep the positive vibes out there, ya know?  After a ton of research and Googling, here's what I cant wait to see in The Sooner State!
  1. Oklahoma City, OK
    Honestly, just everything about OKC.  I've heard that it's truly a good time, and I am all about that. Obviously, there are already some sporting events I want to check out.  UF's former basketball coach, Billy Donovan, is now the head coach for the Oklahoma City Thunder.  So, of course I want to see a game.  There is also a minor league baseball team there, the Oklahoma City Dodgers.  My heart is so full knowing I'm close to minor league baseball. Other than that, I'm just ready to see what the city has to offer. Not to mention, their tagline is "OKC-ing is Believing" so I might already be obsessed. On their website, there are monthly festivals listed. I can't wait to check those out! We all know I love a good monthly festival (see this post, #1)! If I had to narrow it down though, I will be checking out three particular things first.  The Boathouse District, Stockyards City, and the Bricktown Entertainment District. A trip to the Oklahoma City Zoo & Botanical Gardens will shortly follow. (Side note: everyone should check out their website, because it is phenomenal AND filled with OKC puns.)
  2. Oklahoma Sooners Athletics
    Since we'll be closer to Norman (roughly an hour), I think I've decided to go the University of Oklahoma route as opposed to Oklahoma State University.  Stillwater is almost three hours away, so I might only visit once.  I'm all about a school with rich tradition, especially when it comes to athletics. Oklahoma definitely has some in their program.  I can't wait to yell "Boomer, Sooner" in Memorial Stadium with 82,000 other Sooner fans. Oklahoma also has a men's gymnastics team, which is something I've never seen live. So that's on the list of things to check out as well. I know it's going to be hard for me to get used to being this far from Gainesville, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
  3. Outdoor Activities
    Connor and I love to be outside!  We like going exploring and enjoying what Mother Nature has to offer.  I think Oklahoma will be so good for this. There are definitely different landscapes for us to tackle. There are two places that have caught my eye that are directly in Lawton.  The first is a placed called The Holy City. It appears that this is a re-creation of what Israel looked like during Biblical times.  During Easter, they perform a play called "The Prince of Peace."  Looks like a pretty unique place, and definitely seems to deserve a look. The next is Comanche Nation Waterpark.  I haven't been to a water park in about three or four years.  However, Oklahoma is SO hot during the summer.  This seems like it could be a fun way to beat the heat, and I love a good lazy river.  I'll keep you posted on whether or not Connor actually agrees to this one. Another area I'm very excited to check out is very close to Fort Sill! Lake Elmer Thomas Recreation Area or LETRA, is an outdoor recreation area where you can camp, fish, bike, and hike! During the summer, they offer a swimming area, a water slide, paddle boats, kayaks, and canoes. This sounds awesome, and I can't wait to check it out as soon as it warms up in Oklahoma! Overall, I'm just excited for the mountains and the brand new terrain to see! I'll let you know in a few months how I feel about the snow. 
  4. Native American Culture
    So, I've been to Fort Sill once before and I remember hearing Native American radio stations.  How neat is that?!  Due to our heritage, my mom is obsessed with the Native American culture.  I even remember going to Pow Wows growing up.  Personally, I don't know that much about the Native Americans.  I think this will be a really cool experience to learn more about it, and maybe teach my mom a thing or two!
  5. STARTING A LIFE WITH CONNOR!!!!
    Alright, alright. I know this isn't a location or anything unique to Oklahoma. It is probably what I'm most excited about when it comes to Oklahoma though. I can't wait for us to have our own space. We always talk about how we're going to decorate our new apartment and what we want to have in there. It's so exciting and fun to think about. Plus, we can get a dog!!! I can't wait for us to finally be in the same state again.  Most importantly, I absolutely cannot wait to not have to say goodbye. There is no one else I'd rather go on this adventure with, or do it for. I'll never forget the moment I (accidentally) saw Connor's orders and read Fort Sill. My heart sank. It was not one of the posts on his list, and not what I had in mind.  Over time, we have learned to get excited about it.  I'd be lying if I wasn't secretly hoping for somewhere a little cooler for our next post though! Either way, I can't wait to take on Oklahoma with my partner in crime. 
There you have it, some things I'm excited about in Oklahoma! I would also like to add that I'm not too upset about our proximity to Texas either.  I wouldn't make taking some time to explore our neighboring state as well.  Other than that, I'm planning to take this adventure head on! If you have tips on any places or events I shouldn't miss while I'm there, send them to me!

Until next time,
Brandt

No comments:

Post a Comment