Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Goal #3

Back in January, I made a post about my goals for 2016. Goal #3 was to read at least five books. I'm proud to say that it's July and I've already read four books, and am working on a fifth. (The public library is a beautiful thing, y'all.) Two of those books are by Mindy Kaling. Unknowingly, I read them in the proper order. It was nice.

The first book, her first book, is Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns). I'm not really sure what made me want to read it. I watched The Office, but have never seen The Mindy Project or anything else Mindy has been in. Maybe because there was some hype around it? Either way, I was flying to Florida and wanted a book to read and the library on post had it. So, I went for it. Boy, am I glad I did!
This book is hilarious. It has some pretty adult content, but honestly it didn't take away from anything. It's a collection of essays about Mindy's life and her take on romance, Hollywood, and other things. Her humor is on point, but she also keeps it real and throws some thought provoking stuff in there. Nothing too heavy, but just some real talk. It's also only around 200 pages, so its a great weekend (or afternoon if you're ambitious) read!

I had no clue when I started reading her books, but her more recent book is Why Not Me? and it is also awesome. This is more a collection of essays about life in Hollywood, and how Mindy handles it. I was laughing a lot while reading this. She writes in a voice that is so easy to relate to, even though in no way am I a comedy genius like Kaling. It's also only about 200 pages, so its a great light read. 


These books were reads that I didn't know I needed. Honestly, I was bummed when they were over. I wanted more. Having not known much about Mindy before these books, I fell in love with reading about her life. If you're looking for a laugh, read these. If you're a twenty-something wanting some life advice, read this and maybe take it with a grain of salt. If you're looking for a good summer read, 10/10 would definitely recommend these.

As for the other two books I've read this year, they are Yes Please by Amy Poehler and Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. I probably won't write about them, but I did enjoy them.

Until next time,
K.Shep

No comments:

Post a Comment