Pages

Friday, February 5, 2016

It's Going to be ColoRADo

Well now that we won't be moving to Oklahoma, I guess I've got to do a new post on what I'm looking forward to in Colorado! Long story short, the Army decided last minute (less than 24 hours before he was supposed to leave Fort Gordon) to change Connor's orders from Fort Sill, Oklahoma to Fort Carson, Colorado. We feel incredibly blessed to say the least. I'm so glad that I could be at Fort Gordon when he found this out, because I was able to share the excitement with him! I could also be there to take a deep breath with him and completely re-map the plans we had been working on for the last eight months.

Okay so Colorado is just a tad bit cooler (no pun intended...or maybe it was...) than Oklahoma. This being said I'll just choose five things to highlight.  My list is like 100 things long though, to be honest.


  1. The Scenery
    Oh my gosh, Colorado looks gorgeous! Those mountains! 😍 I have never been to Colorado, or spent a lot of time in mountainous terrain. It's going to be so different than Florida, and I can't wait to take it all in! I'm a little uneasy about adjusting to the altitude change, can't lie there. I guess I'll just need to ease into that. There are a few parks I already have my eye on: Memorial Park, Bear Creek Park, Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods. Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods have all of these trails I cannot wait to explore! I also saw something about rock climbing?? Um, yes. Sign me up! Hopefully my Floridan lungs can adjust quickly, because I am so ready to check all of this out! 
  2. Hockey!
    Back in high school, I fell in love with hockey.  The Tampa Bay Lightning have always been, and always will be, my favorite NHL team.  However, Colorado has plenty of hockey at all different levels.  I am so excited to be in a state where there's probably quite a few more hockey fans than we have in Florida. The Colorado College Tigers have a huge hockey rivalry with the University of Denver Pioneers, so you can guarantee I will need to check out some of these hockey games. Especially the Battle for Pikes Peak, which is a rivalry series between Colorado College and the Air Force Academy. From what I could find, there are 5 active hockey teams at the college, minor league, and major league levels.  This sounds like heaven, and I can't wait to watch some hockey games!  
  3. Outdoor Activities
    As soon as we tell people we're moving to Colorado, everyone says we'll have to learn how to ski.  Thankfully, I've been skiing before.  Sadly, I'm awful at it. From what I remember, I do like to snowboard though. Tubing is always fun too. I'm kind of excited to try out skiing and snowboarding again. Maybe I'll get good at it? Who knows.  I'm also really excited for all of the new trails and parks to explore.  Like I mentioned above, there's rock climbing! I have never rock climbed (indoor or outdoor) so I definitely want to try this out! Connor and I love our hammock, so finding new spots to hammock in will probably be something we do a lot of once it gets warm enough to spend a few hours outside. We might even buy bikes! There are endless outdoor activities to take advantage of in Colorado!
  4. Trying New Cuisine
    SO. MUCH. NEW. FOOD. Which is going to make sticking to Goal #1 pretty hard. Colorado Springs loves their fondue, and apparently it comes down to the Mona Lisa or the Melting Pot.  Guess this means I just have to try both?? Oh darn. When looking for a fancy dinner, elk and bison are on the menu.  Not sure how I feel about this, but I'll try it at least once. There is a Chinese restaurant that comes highly recommended called China Town. Apparently, locals love it! Colorado is really big on craft beer too! I don't have a list of breweries I want to see yet, but I think I know where I'll start. Bristol Brewing Company is in Colorado Springs and comes recommended.  The state has a ton of breweries, and even more festivals.  I definitely want to check out the Colorado Springs Beer Festival when I get the chance. This is only a start, but I know there will be a lot of food and fun to explore once we get settled in! 
  5. STARTING A LIFE WITH CONNOR!!!
    No changes here, still excited for this.  I can't wait to head out to Colorado with him and see the place he's picked out for us to live in! The excitement is so real!

It's going to take a lot of adjusting, but overall I think Colorado will be really fun! Have you ever been to Colorado? Any advice for us on our cross country move? Drop them in the comments below!

Until next time,
Brandt

No comments:

Post a Comment